top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can I obtain UK car breakdown cover while living in France?

Some insurance companies offer overseas breakdown cover as standard

Breaking down abroad can sometimes lead to excess costs Pic: Andrey_Popov / Shutterstock

Reader Question: Is it possible to get cover for breakdowns during visits to the UK?

If you live in France, we assume you have French car insurance. It is common for breakdown cover to be included in the same policy and most people in France do not take out separate breakdown policies.

If you plan to go to the UK for a short visit, the good news is that, post-Brexit, French car insurance policies are still accepted in the UK.

You can always double-check that driving in a given country is covered by your policy by looking at the attestation d’assurance – the green form that contains the square label drivers place in their vehicle’s windscreen – which will show a list of countries.

The question is then as to whether your breakdown cover, if you have it as part of this policy, is also active in the UK and how to make use of it.

One large insurer, MAAF, states on its website, for example, that policyholders can call the usual breakdown hotline for a call-out in any countries covered by the policy, using the French code 00 33.

Another firm, Allianz, told us that it has an assistance package in its contract that covers breakdowns abroad, including the UK.

Nonetheless we advise you to double-check with your insurance company.

Related articles

How can I insure my UK-registered car for long stays in France?

What should you do if your vehicle breaks down on a French motorway?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France