top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can I rent out furnished SCI property in France?

Rules can be complex, but solutions do exist

Rules for letting out an SCI-owned property can be difficult to wrap your head around Pic: Peter Etchells / Shutterstock

Reader Question: I have a French property but live in the UK. It is owned by a family SCI (I am one of the owners). I want to let it out furnished. How should I declare the income? 

Letting out a property owned by an SCI can be complex, especially if it is let furnished. 

However, there are some options available

If the SCI is set up to pay income tax as opposed to corporation tax (which is the most common scenario) one way to deal with this is for the SCI to agree to give the jouissance (use) of the property to one of its members as an individual, eg. yourself.

You can then let it out and declare the income in a French personal income tax return, most likely under the micro-BIC option, which gives a set expenses allowance.

You can read more about the micro-BIC in our tax guide here.

You might also have to declare to the UK via self-assessment but would obtain a tax credit avoiding double taxation

Related articles

French money news update: SCIs, S1s, joint Revolut accounts

Recap: 11 tips to avoid a tax inspection in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France