top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Do we pay French CGT tax on the sale of our UK house?

Rules depend on the tax treaty signed between two countries

Dual tax treaties affect taxes on property sales Pic: Eleni Mavrandoni / Shutterstock

Reader Question: We have been resident in France since 2006 but own a house in the UK. We are no longer taxpayers there. Are we liable to pay capital gains in France on the sale of the house?

In such cases, the rules depend on any tax treaty between France and the other country.

So in your case you need to refer to the UK-France double tax convention.

The treaty states that the country where the property is located has the first right to assess the gain.

Only gains in value since April 2015 are taken into account by the UK for non-residents. 

France has the right to assess the gain under its own rules but should give a credit for any UK tax paid. 

These rules are set out in the double tax convention, articles 14 and 24.

Related articles 

How do I reduce French capital gains tax on a property sale?

What capital gains tax is due when selling inherited French property?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France