top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Is cancer care free with Ehic or S1?

I have been diagnosed with cancer and am hoping soon to move to France. Can I access free chemotherapy with my Ehic/S1?  M.H.

As an S1 holder, you have the right to join the French reimbursements system under the same conditions as other French residents. This includes full (“free”) reimbursement for treatment for certain affectations de longue durée (serious long-term conditions), such as cancer.

The English-speaking helpline for the French health system said you should not use your Ehic for this but should visit your local Cpam office as a matter of urgency with your S1 form (for British state pensioners or those on certain long-term disability benefits).

They say to take a doctor’s letter from the UK indicating the urgency of your condition to speed up the dossier.

This is because the Ehic is normally for urgent new health problems that crop up while on a visit to a country, rather than healthcare for a pre-existing condition.

Brexit complicates this because the S1 is an EU scheme. If there is a deal, then nothing should change. If there is a no-deal Brexit, France has said there would be no change for two years pending discussions with the UK on a bilateral healthcare deal.

The French authorities have not confirmed what happens if no agreement is reached but it is likely that those with income over a set level would have to pay an annual fee to join France’s Puma healthcare system.

This fee is currently 8% of “capital” income over €10,131 (currently state pensions are not included in this calculation).

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now