top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Is an English ‘Lasting Power of Attorney’ valid in France?

LPAs are put in place by many wishing to ensure that their financial and or health affairs are protected should their circumstances change

There are a number of things to consider when French assets form part of an LPA arrangement Pic: fizkes / Shutterstock

Reader Question: Will a Lasting Power of Attorney document previously set up in England be accepted in France? Are there any extra steps needed to take to make it valid here? 

Under the Hague Convention on the International Protection of Adults (from the year 2000), an English Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) can be legally accepted in France. 

In practice however, this UK arrangement may be unfamiliar to many French banks / authorities who may be unwilling to recognise it.

Even in cases where it is eventually accepted, it can be time-consuming and potentially costly.

To be on the safe side, therefore it is advised to set up a mandat de protection future (MDF) to cover yourself in France at least in regard to your assets in the country.

Both can be in place simultaneously, covering the assets within each legal jurisdiction. 

Creating a mandat de protection future 

An MDF can be used to designate somebody to look after all or part of your assets and property if your health declines beyond a certain point. 

There are two versions – a non-notarised version, and one which requires a notaire to draft it, with the latter conferring greater powers. 

Having the notarised version will be more useful, as a non-notarised form of the document will not be accepted for all tasks.

To set up a notarised MDF usually involves all those concerned – the designated protector, the elderly person, and the notaire – to be physically present in the same location, however sometimes exceptions can be made. 

It must be put in place while the elderly person is still in good health, both physically and mentally.

Read more: What is the French equivalent to a ‘lasting power of attorney’?

Alternatives to an MDF

For less serious situations, there are French documents which allow for someone to control your affairs or wishes. 

For health purposes, for example, you can officially designate a personne de confiance, who can help you with major health decisions and formalities and who will be consulted by doctors and hospitals about your wishes in the case or your being incapacitated by serious illness. 

There are also several different ways in which family members or others can apply to help a person who is struggling to manage their own affairs. 

For financial matters, for example, a habilitation familiale can be set up (this requires a doctor’s certificate and a hearing before a judge) designating a close family member of the individual as being in charge of decisions relating to certain assets. This lasts for up to 10 years, longer if then renewed.

Read more: 

What are the rules for a handwritten will in France?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France