top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can we go back to regime réel to run our letting business in France?

Switching taxation regimes is possible under certain circumstances

Under income tax rules, it is possible to be taxed with the deduction of actual expen­­ses, or on a forfait basis, called the micro regime Pic: Pranithan Chorruangsak / Shutterstock

Reader question: Four families bought a house via an SCI [a French company created for the ownership and management of property] in 1989. In 2004 my family bought the others out to run it as a letting business. We used to make a declaration which let us claim expenses – gas, water, electricity, local taxes, etc. In 2019 our accountant changed this so we are now taxed as a gîte with 20% tax on 50% of the income. This has made a big difference. Can we change back?  B.R.

You say that you run the property as a letting business but was this as individuals having the free use of the SCI asset, the house, to let yourselves, personally, or was the letting business run from the SCI?

If the business was run from the SCI, this would initially have been under corporation tax rules, declaring the income, less your expenses. 

One can later choose to change to be taxed under income tax rules but this means that instead of the SCI being taxed (corporation tax), it is one or more of the associates who become taxed. Note that this move is only one way and the tax authorities do not then allow a subsequent return back to paying corporation tax under the name of the SCI.

Under income tax rules, it is possible to be taxed with the deduction of actual expen­­ses, or on a forfait (tax after a fixed allowance) basis, called the micro regime. 

If the letting business has been run under income tax rules with the 50% forfait system it is possible to change to a real expenses system.

Permis­sion has to be requested from the tax office, at the latest by tax declaration time for the previous year’s income.

Under the forfait system, your expenses are accounted for, but at a fixed 50% of the income (71% for properties classified under the star system as meublés de tourisme), whether or not actual expenses are as much as this. 

Your accountant might have thought this was advantageous. 

We suggest checking with them as to why they made the change. 

The information presented above is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice.

Related articles:

Capital release: start-up firm offers ways for French property owners

Explainer: What is France’s taxe de séjour, who pays it and when?

How do I set a fair price on my French house that I want to sell?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France