top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How can I prove I have necessary funds for a French long-stay visa?

You must show your socio-economic status to obtain a visa. We explain what documents you can provide and how much income or funds are required

People applying for a French long-stay visa must provide supporting documents showing ‘socio-economic status’ and proof of funds Pic: gd_project / Shutterstock

Reader question: We are applying for a French long-stay visitor visa to allow us to spend more than 90 days at our second home this summer. We are required to prove our socio-economic status. Beyond three months of bank statements, do you have any idea what might substantiate this?

People applying for a French long-stay visa for extended visits to France – as opposed to for work, for example – must provide supporting documents.
These include showing your ‘socio-economic status’ and proof of funds. The former could include pension documents, a UK work contract or certificate of study. In other words, evidence of your ‘status’, whether a state pensioner, employee, etc. 

As for funds, the visa service is looking for proof of ability to meet expenditures during your stay, ie. income and/or savings equivalent to around the French minimum wage (€1,302.64 net) per month of the stay, though there is some leeway given for owning your own French home, and for couples the amount is reportedly a few hundred higher, but not double.

Proof can include bank statements from the last three months, including a balance which indicates sufficient funds for the stay (those supported by their spouse should  provide a marriage certificate and the spouse’s bank statements).

Other proofs of funds could include pay slips, credit/debit card statements or travellers’ cheques.

Applicants are free to bring any other documents reflecting the funds at their disposal, when they go to the interview. This could include pension statements, rental income, savings account statements, dividend income, or any other evidence from the last three or more months.


Related articles

French long-stay visa applicants complain again of appointment delays

Post-Brexit travel healthcare: What is a UK ‘CRA’ Ehic card?

What health insurance do I need for a long-stay French visitor visa?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France