-
Trump calls for Marine Le Pen to be freed (but she is not in prison)
US president said her embezzlement court case was a ‘witch hunt’
-
France’s €3 book delivery fee challenged in EU court by Amazon
Online retailer said measure is protectionist and ‘in breach of EU laws’
-
Allergies: How to know pollen levels in your commune of France
Interactive online maps can track and predict how pollen is changing in the air
Eiffel Tower reopens after security staff strike
The Eiffel Tower has reopened its doors to the public this weekend after it was closed by two days of strikes by security guards.

The famous Parisian monument was closed until Saturday (April 14) afternoon, due to a strike that began on Friday (April 13).
According to workers’ union CGT, security staff were protesting after three of their former colleagues had been fired, allegedly for distributing a petition asking for better working conditions.
The Tower’s restaurants, 58 Tour Eiffel and Jules Verne, were also closed during the strike, as were the gardens for a time. All have since reopened.
On its official Twitter account, @LaTourEiffel, Tower staff explained that guests who had paid for pre-booked tickets, but were not able to access the Tower at their allotted time due to the strike, would be automatically reimbursed via credit card in the next few weeks.
In 2017, the monument attracted 6.2 million visitors, marking 300 million visitors in total since it first opened in 1889.
Now almost 130 years old, the Tower is set to undergo significant renovations between now and 2023, including the installation of a €20 million “bulletproof terrorism-proof glass wall” around the base.
Modernising improvements to the visitor reception and facilities are also planned.
Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France