Further easyJet strike action possible in France following weekend chaos
Close to 100 flights cancelled over weekend
Cabin crew of budget airline easyJet based in France could begin a new round of strikes in the coming days following major action over the weekend.
An initial walkout saw nearly 100 flights to and from France cancelled on August 15 - 16, affecting thousands of passengers.
A strike motion covering all of the airline’s French bases – Paris Orly, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Lyon, Nice, Nantes, and Bordeaux – is in place until September 2.
The motion was given wide backing by staff, with up to 80% of workers at Lyon and Paris Charles de Gaulle walking out over the weekend. Walkout rates nationally were around 68%.
The three major unions backing the strike – UNAC-CFE-CGC, SNPNC-FO and UNPNC-CFDT – cite poor working conditions, including schedules changing dozens of times per week. These changes make it impossible for staff to accurately plan their personal lives and are leading to burnout, they say.
Erratic schedules, poor working conditions and uncooperative management are frequent complaints and have been behind several strike threats across the last 12 months.
This includes strikes threatened over Christmas 2025 and July 2026, with the first called off at the last minute and the latter suspended due to the major wildfires impacting France at the time.
More delays to come?
With the strike notice lasting until September 2 – the day after the 2026 - 2027 school year begins in France – there is the risk of further chaos over the coming two weeks.
The strike motion itself does not necessarily mean staff will walk out every day included across the period, but it gives them the option to strike on any given day.
Cabin crew must give 48 hours notice before walking out, although this may not be enough time for alternative replacement staff to be levied.
On Monday, easyJet told The Connexion that no further strike action dates had been confirmed by workers.
While unions are yet to confirm any future walkouts, it is expected that they will concentrate action on weekends to maximise disruption.
“We are truly sorry for the passengers. However, we filed our strike notice according to the rules and held timely discussions with easyJet,” said SNPNC-FO delegate William Bourdon to Europe 1.
“It is up to the airline to organise itself to get all our passengers home and find them alternative solutions,” he added.
For its part, easyJet said it offered several alternatives to passengers affected by the strikes over the weekend “the option of a free transfer to another flight.”
As the strikes are from the airline’s staff and not from those contracted to the airport, delays and cancellations due to the strike cannot be classed as extenuating circumstances.
This means passengers impacted are in line for compensation and refunds, depending on the exact disruption.