What will change for British drivers visiting France?

Will there be changes for second home-owners with regard to driving on a UK licence in France after the transition period ends on December 31 this year? 

26 February 2020
By Connexion journalist

Second home-owners driving in France will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of their British driving licence after the transition period.

The latter is complex to organise as it involves having a professional translation completed and certified by a translator, then sworn before a public notary or solicitor and legalised by a government official so it is valid abroad (see tinyurl.com/y4jwhw7m and gov.uk/get-document-legalised).

UK IDPs, however, can be obtained from the RAC or AA and from post offices at a fee of around £8.

They are valid for a year and validate your UK licence for use in a range of foreign countries.

You can find a post office that issues IDPs at tinyurl.com/yxcbr7cx.

You will also need to carry a motor insurance green card from your insurer.

This proves that the driver has adequate insurance cover for driving abroad. You should contact your insurer a month before travel to obtain a card for your vehicle, and also for your caravan or trailer if appropriate.

Your car should also have an ordinary GB sticker on it, even if your number plate already shows a GB with an EU symbol.

The sticker, a white oval containing the letters GB, must be displayed at the rear of the vehicle.


We have a dedicated helpguide on Owning a Second Home in France. Order at the helpguide section of connexionfrance.com

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Brexit and Beyond for Britons in France*
Featured Help Guide
What the Brexit deal means for UK residents of France, second homeowners and visitors in 2021 and after
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now