Is my S1 form affected if I become a micro-entrepreneur?

Whether through working or through the S1, you have access to the health system and your healthcare cover will be assured

29 March 2021
By Connexion journalist

Reader question: I would like to earn money from writing as a freelancer and from carpentry. My sole income is from UK old-age and private pensions. If I set up a micro-entreprise, would I be switched to a different health insurance regime, lose my S1 and not be able to restart it if I gave up the business?

Once you set up a business here in France, your healthcare rights would be linked to your work status (ie. paid for by France) but there is no reason why a return to your S1 status could not be envisaged at a later date.

A spokeswoman for the French social security directorate said, however, that if you later draw a French pension linked to the work in France, you would stay attached to the French social security system.

Micro-entrepreneurs are now affiliated to the standard régime général at the Cpams and so you will essentially be in the same regime, the issue being the means of funding one’s participation in it.

So, whether through working or through the S1, you have access to the system and your healthcare cover will be assured.

Related stories

Understanding the rules of UK pensions when living in France

Do French entrepreneurs need separate work bank accounts?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
Brexit and Beyond for Britons in France*
Featured Help Guide
What the Brexit deal means for UK residents of France, second homeowners and visitors in 2021 and after
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now