top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

British MOT in France

My British MOT is about to run out - what can I do?

I HAVE miscalculated and ended up with a UK registered car at my house in France the MOT for which runs out on March 1 whereas I did not plan to bring it to the UK until mid-April. What can I do? S.R.

A DVLA spokesman said that where an MOT has run out the owner is allowed to arrange an MOT test and drive to the centre for the test and then from the test centre to their registered UK home.

He confirmed this would include driving it from France to a pre-arranged test in the UK. You would therefore be best-advised to arrange to drive immediately for an MOT on your return – unless you reschedule an earlier return.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France