top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Car conformity certificate

Where do I get a conformity certificate for my car?

I NOW live in France and want to register my car here but I need a certificate of conformity. Could you tell me how to obtain this and if there is a cost? B. A.

A European certificate of conformity is an official document issued for all vehicles built to be sold and registered in the EU, confirming it has been tested and meets EU approval standards.

If you require one for a British-bought car so as to register it in France it is usually simplest to contact the UK manufacturer for a copy (though if a France-based supplier exists it may also be able to help, especially if the same models are sold here).
Check its British website for contact details.

You need to supply a copy of your car registration document and a fee is payable - the amount depends on the manufacturer.
For example Ford UK charges £84 and Porsche charges £106.

Volkswagen UK states it only supplies certificates in German directly from its factory logistics operation in Germany and charges €50. It claims it is not necessary to have one in the language of the country in which you wish to register the car.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France