top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

May 19 deadline for UK EU vote

If you are not registered in France – the UK deadline for postal and proxy votes is approaching.

IF YOU are not registered to vote in France – the deadline for British citizens to sign up for a postal or proxy vote in the UK is May 19.

EU citizens living in France are able to vote in local and EU elections – but anyone doing so must have signed up before the end of 2008.

UK citizens who have not done this have until May 19th to register to vote in the EU elections by post.

To do this you must have lived in the UK in the last 15 years – after which time you lose your right to vote in UK elections.

If you were under 18 before you or you and your family left but have since turned 18, you are also eligible to apply to vote.

Your can register to vote at any time, but you must re-register as an overseas voter every year.

Download a registration form here:

You will need to enter the postcode of your last address in the UK, along with other details such as your current address and passport number.

If it is the first time you have filled in the form you will need to get another British citizen, not a close relative, to sign it (they will need their passport number).

You can use the form to register for either a postal vote or proxy vote in the UK.

Forms must be returned to your local ballot office, not the Electoral Commision.

The address for you local office will be preprinted on the forms once you enter your former postcode.

Ballot papers will be sent out 10 days ahead of the election.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France