top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Registration forms going in circles

Our tax registration forms appear to be going round in circles between the UK and France - what's going on?

We are currently trying to register for double taxation in France and seem to be going round in circles.
We have an application form from the UK Inland Revenue for relief at source from UK income tax with a note to "send the completed form France / individual to the Inspecteur des Impots for the district in France in which you reside". This we duly did, visiting the office in Nevers.
At this point we were advised to send the forms (one in English and one in French) to an office in Paris. Low and behold three months later the forms arrived in the post from England with the following message:
"Unfortunately I am unable to process the form at the moment as it is not a valid claim. To validate the form please arrange for it to be certified by the French tax authorities as per the instructions on the form."
After contacting them by telephone I was informed that this is quite normal for the French authorities to return forms not completed/stamped.
Should I return the forms to the Paris office or again try my local Impots office in Nevers? With the forms being in French and English we didn't expect any problems!

If the forms are what I think they are, then both the French and the English copy need to be sent to your local French tax office – BUT - with your first French déclaration d'impots.

The French tax offices are increasingly refusing to deal with these forms unless they are accompanied by a French tax return.

This said, it is worth making a copy of the English form and sending it, too, to the UK tax office address on the front of the form in Nottingham.

For more details on this see my article in May's Connexion.

If you missed the April edition, the helpsheet is available from the site by clicking here, priced €5.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now