top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Vote or stand in local elections

Connexion edition: October 2007

British residents in France, as citizens of the European Union, are entitled to vote - and stand as candidates - in European and municipal (local) elections. British nationals can become councillors of their local commune but cannot stand for mayor without first obtaining French nationality. There are currently 16 British and 188 nationals of other EU countries acting as councillors in French communes. The provision that all EU nationals can vote and stand in local elections was introduced by the 1992 Maastricht Treaty, which aimed to create the basis of a European citizenship at a grass roots level.

Democratic deficit

The treaty addressed the problem of the ‘democratic deficit’, perceived by many as one of the most important issues in the successful development of the European Union. The European elections of 1999 and the municipal elections of 2001 represented the first opportunity for non-French EU residents in France to vote. Since then, the numbers of British nationals living in France has increased considerably. Most of these are not aware of their new rights to vote or stand as councillors or how to become registered to vote. The next municipal elections take place in March 2008. Registration is open now for the electoral lists that will give EU residents eligibility to vote.

The municipality in France is based on the commune, which is the smallest territorial unit of administration and led by the mayor. There are 36,571 communes in Metropolitan France alone. Many of these are very small, with less than 100 voters.
To British people they may seem rather like the English Parish council, at least in their proximity to the local population. However the mayor, as leader of the commune, is paid and wields much greater power and influence than the largely symbolic role of mayors in British councils.

Register on list by end of December

In order to register on the electoral list - known as a “supplementary list” for EU residents - readers should go to their local mairie and obtain an application form. This must be submitted before December 31. To qualify for registration, residents must be able to prove their nationality (a passport is adequate), and place of residence (a tax bill or utilities bill should suffice).


Those with second homes in France are not eligible to vote in these elections, and the mayor may therefore ask for evidence of six months of residence. The forms can be obtained online at Go to the green area entitled à votre service, follow les élections then comment voter. Click l’inscription des ressortissants de l’Union Européenne, where you will find an explanation of your rights, in French, and the form to download under elections municipales.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now