top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Will temporary carte de séjour give future rights?

Thanks for your article on Brexit implications for second homeowners in France . I’ve been waiting for this kind of information – and more – for a long time.

Can you say if I can, as a (retired) second-home owner who meets income and health insurance requirements, apply for a temporary carte de séjour without becoming French tax-resident?

In the event of a ‘no-deal’, would possession of one make a difference to one’s rights to enter France and stay for longer periods in the Schengen zone than non-EU citizens currently can?

Changing tax residency from the UK to France can be a difficult process, limiting the amount of time one can spend in the UK.

David Bennett, by email

Unfortunately cartes de séjour are for full-time residents of France not spending more than six months away in total per year. 

Proof required typically includes a utility bill from each six-month half of the year for as long as you have been in France (for the last five years if applying for a ‘permanent’ residency card or less if applying for temporary cards of a year or five-year duration).

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France