A wildfire declared in southern France yesterday is still not under control despite 600 firefighters attending the scene. However, it is evolving ‘favourably’ and no homes are currently threatened.
The blaze in the Alpilles massif, between Aureille and Eyguières, was declared at 16:00 on Monday, August 22.
More than 600 firefighter personnel and 200 engines have been deployed to tackle the flames, which have already destroyed at least 115 hectares of brushland and shrubs, the Bouches-du-Rhône fire service told France Bleu Provence.
Personnel from neighbouring departments have come to help the SDIS 13 emergency service, including those from Var, Vaucluse, and Hérault.
Eight Canadair and three Dash water bombers, plus several helicopter water bombers, are also assisting.
#Feuxdeforet | Ce mardi 23 août ⤵️— Préfet de la région PACA et des Bouches-du-Rhône (@Prefet13) August 22, 2022
4⃣ massifs : Montagnette, Rougadou, Alpilles, Chambremont sont fermés
Les 2⃣1⃣ autres sont en #vigilancejaune, les travaux sont interdits après 13h.
⚠️ Incendie toujours en cours dans le massif des Alpilles, soyez vigilants ! pic.twitter.com/lsXXqRKJ0H
No homes are currently in danger and no one has yet needed to be evacuated.
However, the flames are being worsened by “rather violent” winds of up to 90km/h, the fire service said.
The area of the Alpilles massif was declared to be on red risk alert on August 22 because of the high Mistral winds and severe drought conditions.
The fire is the latest major incident to be declared, but is so far not as serious as other blazes in recent weeks.
These include the major incident in Landiras (Gironde), which destroyed tens of thousands of hectares, and another in Aveyron that required 3,000 people to be evacuated.
France’s wildfires rage on as minister warns of more to come
Homes destroyed as south-west France wildfire reignites overnight