top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

All post offices in France will be open by end of May

La Poste is preparing a progressive reopening of post offices to have all 7,700 operational by the end of May; currently many remain closed.

From Monday (May 11), mail delivery for priority (first-class) post, registered letters and parcels will return to six days a week. Deliveries were limited to three days a week during confinement.

Other letters, such as the lettre verte category, will be distributed five days a week, from Monday to Friday.

Also from Monday the collection of post from street letterboxes will again be carried out over six days rather than three. Mail is currently being collected from around 87% of letterboxes with the other 13% not being emptied. There will be collections from all of them by the end of May.

For the most vulnerable people, La Poste is offering to collect mail for posting directly from their home. 

This service is free and to take advantage of it you must inform your post person directly or write a note on your letterbox. 

For the postage, you can either print off your own stamps at  (you can simply cut them out and stick them on) or wait for the post person and pay them for stamps by cheque or cash.

By the end of May, all 7,700 offices of La Poste in France will be reopened however La Poste will comply with the measures required by the government on barrier gestures and physical distancing. 

Opening hours will be adapted to the number of visitors and the staff available.

La Poste will encourage its employees to work remotely until June 2, where possible. For staff who cannot work remotely staggered working hours will be put in place, as has been the case for several weeks now in the mail sorting centres.  

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France