top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Help desks at prefecture can support with French online administration

Book an appointment at your nearest 'point d’accueil numérique' (PAN) for help with digital applications for driving licences and residency cards

‘Digital mediators’, usually young people working as part of the service civique scheme, are on hand to offer guidance Pic: SpeedKingz / Shutterstock

Recent years have seen a creeping digitalisation of French administration, culminating in the Conseil d’Etat (Council of State) ruling that residence permit applications cannot be online-only.

Read more: French public services: ‘We cannot impose smartphone use on everyone’

Read more: French residency card u-turn - you can apply in person at préfecture

Digital help desks available

Not everybody is aware, though, that it is still possible to seek help with paperwork from your local prefecture.

Every prefecture and sous-préfecture has a point d’accueil numérique (PAN, digital help desk), where people who lack an internet connection or who struggle to use a computer can receive help.

Facilities allow you to complete online applications, and print and scan documents related to Interior Ministry procedures, including issues related to driving licences, passports, and residency cards.

For the latter, there is often a dedicated PAN étrangers for foreign residents.

Book an appointment

‘Digital mediators’, usually young people working as part of the service civique scheme, are on hand to offer guidance.

Read more: Make sense of... National Service in France

The service is free, but you need to book an appointment first, usually by telephone or via email.

An Interior Ministry map shows contact details and opening times for prefectures here

There are also around 2,200 France Services booths which offer guidance with the same processes, as well as more general administrative tasks such as declaring taxes. They can be found here.

Related articles

Help French bureaucracy improve by leaving a review online

How do we move from a visa to having a French carte de séjour?

How can I register my late husband’s French car in my name?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France