top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Selling self-renovated French home: faults found on sale

Reader question, answered: we’re renovating a home. What comeback falls on us if we sell and a fault is found with work we did ourselves?

The buyer is unlikely to have a valid case over problems with superficial decoration but if there are more structural problems, you can be found responsible. One problem with DIY work is that most people do not take out dommages-ouvrage insurance. If serious problems appear within 10 years, the buyer may demand you pay to repair it.

Many insurers will not even provide this insurance to those doing work themselves so ideally avoid selling the property within 10 years. Also keep evidence of when the work was done (eg. bills for the materials).Only issues affecting solidity or fitness for living in are concerned. More minor faults sometimes fall under a less common rule of “intermediary damage” but the buyer would have to prove you were at fault.

Finally, there are vices cachés; hidden faults which existed at the time of sale but were not obvious and later render the home unsuitable to live in, or would have meant the buyer would not have bought it, or not at the same price. Most sales contracts exempt the seller from responsibility for these but you need to be in “good faith” and if they arise from work you did, courts deem that you should have known.

Property and tax: French taxe foncière is due this month, with some exemptions

Tel: 05 61 57 90 86

If you have a legal query send it to We select questions for answer every edition.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France