top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can buyers of our house start work on it before completion?

Sarah Bright-Thomas of Bright Avocats answers a reader query on the risks of buyers starting work on a property before the final act is signed

Reader question: We have sold our house in France – the final signature to follow in December – and moved out. The buyer wants to start some small renovation works before the final act is signed, seeing we have signed the first part and we are not there. Is there any risk to this?

There is indeed a risk (to both sides) – and the Cour de Cassation recently ruled on this point in a similar case.

It said non-urgent renovation work carried out by buyers who later had to pull out of a sale because they could not get a mortgage was done at their own risk.

The buyers had claimed that, because the sale was not finalised, they were not responsible for the cost of renovation work they had carried out – which, they said, had improved the property’s value to the benefit of the seller ahead of a possible future sale.

The court decided that, as the works carried out were not required for safety reasons and the sale was not finalised, those works, and their cost, were the responsibility of the buyer.

So you would be protected from the cost of any renovation work carried out by the buyer during this period before the final documents are signed.

Should the purchase fall through, you will own a house you are trying to sell, featuring work – or, worse, partly finished work – that may make it harder to sell.

The best advice is to avoid.

Related questions

Should UK charitable donation be declared in France?

Must French court appoint will executor as per English Law?

Second home in France: Why such a rise in our taxe foncière?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France