top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Where you will and will not need a Covid-19 health pass in France

Cruise ships, casinos, and major sporting events among the locations and events listed

Passengers planning to go on a French cruise this summer will have to prove they are Covid-free before they can board their ship. 

As the country slowly emerges from its latest Covid-19 lockdown, the government has revealed some of the places and events at which health passes will be required in the weeks and months ahead. 

The Journal du Dimanche published a partial list of locations and events open to the public that would require visitors to show a pass sanitaire, which demonstrates proof of vaccination, natural immunity, or a recent negative Covid-19 test. 

Read more: How French Covid-19 vaccination certificates will help with travel

The list features:

  • Marquees;
  • Theatres;
  • Auditoriums;
  • Conference halls;
  • Trade fairs and exhibitions;
  • Stadiums;
  • Outdoor and indoor sports establishments;
  • Large casinos;
  • Festivals;
  • Sports competitions;
  • Cruises and boats with accommodation;
  • Community organised balls.

They will not be needed in department stores, educational and work spaces, public services, museums, cinemas, libraries, amusement parks, large markets, zoos, places of worship, hotels, campsites and spas, the weekly paper said, even though many of these places host more than 1,000 people at a time. 

In an interview with regional media earlier this month, President Emmanuel Macron had insisted that the health pass would not be a requirement for normal daily activities. "The health pass will never be a right of access that differentiates the French," he said. 

Read more: French health pass can be used for EU travel from June 17

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France