Reader question: What documents can I use as proof of address if I go out within 10km of my home?
France has introduced new Covid-related measures nationwide to help curb the spread of Covid-19 and under these rules people are limited to staying within 10km of their homes unless they have an essential reason to go further. The measures are set to remain in place until at least the end of April.
Read our article here on what you can and cannot do under the new rules.
Unlike during the nationwide lockdowns in 2020, no exemption certificate (attestation de déplacement) is required to be filled out if you stay within 10km of your home.
However, you must carry proof of your address with you.
The following documents can serve as evidence:
- Identity card / carte de séjour - Britons' French Brexit residency cards: How to apply
- Passport (if it has your French address on it)
- Driver's licence (If you have a French one with your French address)
- Telephone bill, including a mobile phone bill
- Electricity or gas bill
- Rent receipt (from a social organisation or estate agency) or property title
- Water bill
- Tax notice or certificate of non-taxation
- Proof of property tax
- Certificate or invoice of housing insurance
- Statement from the family allowance body CAF mentioning housing-related aid
- Copies of electronic invoices are accepted
There is also an option to use a letter of accommodation (attestation d'hébergement). This can be used if you are staying with a relative or a friend or generally do not yourself have evidence of an address.
In this situation, the person who is hosting you can write a letter of accommodation. The letter should be signed by the host and must certify that you have been living at the address on a stable basis for more than three months.
It should mention your first and last names and have the host’s details. If you are using this letter you should also carry some other proof of the property owner’s residence, such as one of the documents mentioned above.
You can find an example of an attestation d'hébergement at this link (in French).
If you are planning to go further than 10km from your home, you will need to fill out an attestation de déplacement. You can find the form at this link here.
When will life return to normal in France after Covid-19?
Covidliste: Get a Covid vaccination from leftover doses in France
France lockdown: Checks step up at airports, stations and motorways