top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Which French marriage regime is which?

Barbara Heslop of Heslop & Platt answers a reader query on French matrimonial regimes

Reader question: We are British, married in a UK register office and now living in France. How is our marriage viewed under the marriage regime system here? ‘Séparation de biens’ or ‘communauté réduite aux acquêts?

Matrimonial regimes are essentially a system of property ownership between spouses which govern how their property is owned during the marriage and upon divorce or death.

Matrimonial regimes exist in France but not in the UK.

For couples habitually domiciled in the UK immediately after their marriage, their regime is seen in France as equivalent to the regime of séparation de biens.

Under this regime spouses retain separate interests in assets, and only those in their sole name, or their share of jointly held assets will form part of their estate.

If the marriage took place before September 1, 1992, the regime will apply throughout the marriage, even if the couple move to live in another country. The situation is different if the marriage took place after September 1, 1992.

In that case, if the couple later move to France and remain here for more than 10 years, then their regime defaults automatically to communauté réduite aux acquêts in respect of future assets, unless the regime is otherwise changed.

Everything owned in the spouses’ sole names prior to the marriage stays in sole ownership. Everything acquired during, apart from via gift or inheritance, is deemed to be owned under the communauté.

Upon the first death, assets held within the communauté are divided into two shares. The surviving spouse retains one share and the deceased spouse’s share is split as per a will or intestacy rules.

For marriages after January 29, 2019, the default position in France is the law of the couple’s first common habitual residence.

However, couples can choose which law is applicable to their regime, subject to certain rules.

Related stories

France reviews adoption rights for unmarried couples

How best to financially protect your family in France?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now