top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Can you rent an armchair suitable for a disabled person in France?

We take a look at the rental options in France for when you need to adapt your home to welcome an elderly or disabled visitor

Reclining armchairs for rent are not that common in France Pic: Ingrid Maasik / Shutterstock

Reader question: Is there a place to rent an armchair suitable for a disabled person in the Macon area? My brother-in-law has a reclining armchair in the UK and I was hoping to hire a similar chair for him here in France. A raised toilet seat and walking frame would also help. 

While it is relatively easy to rent a wheelchair in France, there are fewer options when it comes to armchairs. 

We called around several businesses in Saône-et-Loire that provide medical equipment, and only one offers riser recliner chairs for rent – a fauteuil releveur in French, an armchair designed to be comfortable for long periods and to help users get in and out of the chair. 

Santé Services ( has several locations in Saône-et-Loire. 

There, a chair will cost €23.20 per week to rent, plus an additional fee if you have it delivered. 

They also offer basic walking frames for €2.21 per week, and versions with wheels for slightly more. 

These are easier to track down than armchairs, however, and we found other local providers such as Autun Paramédical where they could be rented for the same price. 

It is not possible to rent a raised toilet seat because of hygiene considerations.

Related articles

Can you use a French disabled parking badge in the UK?

Disabled couple excluded from French energy price protection

The French long-distance runner changing perceptions of disability

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now