top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
Explore
arrow down

Covid-19: your health questions answered

Is the medical treatment for Covid-19 free? Are routine health check appointments being carried out? 

Do you know if the medical treatment for the Covid-19 outbreak is free, as I live in France but have no top-up insurance?  

The Ministry of Health has confirmed to Connexion that all Covid-19 medical costs including teleconsultations with a GP, and hospitalisation are covered 100% by the national health insurance system and so are free to the patient.

If you have a coronavirus test 60% will be paid for by the Assurance Maladie, and the remaining 40% by your top-up mutuelle health insurance if you have one.

Are routine health check appointments being carried out at Polyclinics? I have a routine mammogram booked for just after the two-week lockdown period but as we expect this to be extended, I imagine my appointments will fall into an extension period.

The Ministry of Health told Connexion that all routine screening programmes like mammograms have been cancelled as they are seen as non-urgent. Hospitals have cancelled routine consultations and non-urgent operations.

The new form says you may only leave your house for medical reasons if they cannot be done remotely or cannot be postponed; consultations and care of patients with an officially recognised, long-standing health condition.

Cancer Support France think that tests for individual patients who are undergoing treatment may still go ahead. They advise individuals to check with their centre as it depends on personal circumstances.

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now