top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can I pay a UK cheque into my French bank account?

When paying a sterling cheque into a French bank account the cheque may take a while to clear and there may be significant fees 

When paying a UK cheque into your French bank account, your French bank is likely to charge fees and some banks charge both a fixed fee and a percentage of the amount paid in Pic: Rob Hyrons / Shutterstock

Reader question: Can I pay a sterling cheque (from a UK insurance company) into my Crédit Agricole bank account in France? I do not have a UK account and the insurance company only sends out sterling cheques.

Yes, you can pay a cheque in sterling into your French bank account but there may be significant fees and the cheque may take a while to clear.

We spoke to a number of banks to find out how to go about it.

You will certainly have to go to your own branch physically to fill in a form with your adviser.

Your bank is likely to charge fees and some banks charge both a fixed fee and a percentage of the amount paid in.

If you are unable to visit your branch, you may be able to pay in the cheque by post.

We spoke to a local Crédit Agricole branch in the Ile-de-France, which said this might be possible and the matter should be discussed with your bank adviser. In this case, the bank said the forms could be sent by email.

Given the fees charged and the possible delay before receiving your money, it would be preferable to transfer the funds from the UK electronically if at all possible.

Related articles

Second home-owners: What if French bank account is closed?

Brexit and Britons in France: Consider a neobank account

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France