top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

I live near site of Var wildfire: How can I donate to help victims?

Several Var mairies are accepting donations of money, food and clothes for people affected by last week’s fire

An image of volunteers sorting out food parcels

Several Var mairies are accepting donations of food, clothes and money for victims of the wildfire Pic: Halfpoint / Shutterstock

I live close to the Var fires and I am collecting donations for the human and animal victims of the Var fire. Could you tell me where I could send them?

Many Var mairies are organising collections to help the victims of the recent wildfire which destroyed over 8,100 hectares of land and claimed two lives.  

Some donations are for food and clothes and some are for money.


In Cogolin, cheques can be made out to CCAS de Cogolin, (Centre Communal d’Action Sociale) and sent to CCAS de Cogolin, Place de la République, 83310 COGOLIN. 

A spokesperson for the mairie said they were receiving cheques every day and the money would be divided between the people in need. 

She said they did not yet know exactly how many people in their commune had lost their homes as it was early days and things were still being sorted out.


Hyères have a drop off point for non-perishable items of food at the offices of the Police municipale at 63, avenue Gambetta from 08:00-18:00, Monday to Friday, but they are not collecting money.

For anyone wanting to contribute who lives in the region, it is advisable to get in touch with their local mairie.


There is an online fundraising page for an equestrian centre with a small farm, Ranch La Mène, Grimaud, which has been entirely destroyed by fire. 

All the animals were saved and the owners have asked for donations to provide food for them and to start the rebuilding process. 

They initially asked for €10,000 but have already collected over €52,000. You can contribute on their crowdfunding page.

Nationwide charities

As yet, there have been no fundraising campaigns for victims of the fire set up by France’s biggest charities, with Var’s Red Cross branch saying that they were not doing anything at present. 

The Fondation de France told The Connexion that they had decided not to collect money for victims of the fires in south-east France because – with limited resources at their disposal – they are concentrating on the country’s Covid-19 crisis, the recent earthquake in Haïti and help for people in difficulty in Beirut.

Related stories 

Rare wild tortoises treated for burns in wake of south of France fire

Bardot: Ban September hunting season in Var area hit by wildfire 

Passing drivers stop man as he tries to start new fire in Var forest

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France