top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

I have stopped employing a cleaner in France: What should I do?

We look at how tax credits are calculated and how you should declare changes in your expenses from the previous year

A Connexion reader has stopped employing a cleaner meaning they are no long entitled to tax credits and must declare this Pic: VGstockstudio / Shutterstock

Reader question: I paid a cleaner for regular work at our home in the past but have stopped this year. What do I need to do to make sure that I do not get tax credit money at the start of next year as I am no longer entitled to this?

Usually at the start of 2024 you will obtain a payment equivalent to 60% of your previous tax credit and reduction entitlements; the calculation will be based on your 2023 declaration of 2022 income. 

If in reality you did not have the same eligible expenses in 2023 as in 2022, then you can adjust the amount of the January 2024 60% instalment, or cancel it, via your online space on the tax website. 

You should do this in the later part of 2023, after your tax 2022 tax credits have been regularised, but before a date in around mid-December when the cut-off date typically falls (this has not yet been specified for 2023). 

To do this, go into your personal space and click Gérer mon prélèvement à la source, then Gérer vos avances de réductions et crédits d’impôt

You can then choose not to have this advance payment (Je souhaite renoncer à mon avance) or to reduce it (Je souhaite modifier mon avance). 

In the latter case you should estimate the correct amount of your reductions and credits by clicking on the simulator link. 

Then click Je valide mon choix. Note that since 2022 it is possible to opt to take off the corresponding tax credit entitlement immediately when paying for services in the home (avance immédiate du crédit d’impôt). 

If people opt for this, the amounts they have already benefitted from will be deducted from the amount paid to them the following January. 

This ensures that they are not overpaid in relation to credits with the need to pay money back later on.

Related articles

Can I get social charge credit on bank interest if have S1 in France?

Avoid income tax return errors by understanding the French system

France taxes at source so why do I have to complete a tax return?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France