top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Does my US relative need attestation d’accueil to visit me in France?

This €30 hosting document is available from mairies. We explain who needs it

Reader Question: Does my daughter need an attestation d’accueil to visit me in France? She is travelling from the US. 

An attestation d’accueil is a document that serves as proof of accommodation for a traveller in the event that they are planning to stay with a friend, family member or in any other type of private accommodation during their trip. 

It is not required for all EU, EEA, Swiss, Andoran or Monegasque citizens. Equally, permanent residents in France, those who will pick up their carte de séjour on arrival and those with a one-year Schengen visa do not need one. There are a few other exceptions – see more information here

For all other nationals planning a trip of under three months to France and intending to stay with friends or family, it is technically required, the French government website states

However, in practice it is extremely unlikely that citizens of countries that have visa-free entry to France – such as the US and the UK – will ever be asked for this document. 

The Connexion has never heard of anyone from the US or UK being asked for it. The document is most likely to be asked for during the process of applying for a visa, which American nationals do not need when travelling to France for under three months. 

Cannes-based lawyer Sarah Sahnoun previously told The Connexion: “If I want to bring over a family member who lives in England but who has a different nationality and needs a visa, I can get an attestation d’accueil to help them come, but Europeans and those dispensed from tourist visas do not need one.”

She added that if an American visits France, the border guard may sometimes ask the purpose of the visit, but usually stating “I’m staying with my friend”, will suffice.

To note, an attestation d’accueil can be obtained from the local mairie of whoever is hosting the traveller. It costs €30. Read more about this attestation in our explainer here: Visits to family in France and rules for hosting forms

Prove your financial means

The French government also states that travellers to the country may be asked to prove their financial means

Again, this is extremely unlikely to be asked of travellers from the US. 

On the off-chance that it is, travellers who are planning to stay with a friend or family member and have an attestation d’accueil should have proof of having at least €32.50 for each day of their stay. 

Related articles

Brexit updates: EU citizenship court case, S1s, attestations d’accueil

Attestation d’accueil for UK visitors to France: Is it needed or not?

Attestation d'accueil and d’hébergement: what is the difference?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now