top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Couples' counselling in France

Is there any form of marriage guidance in France, as exists in the UK (and preferably a service in English)?

There is no single charity as well known as the UK’s Relate but there are bodies, such as and, which give national listings of professionals with titles such as thérapeute de couple or conseiller conjugal. The latter are counsellors trained in couple ‘crisis’ mediation.

People offering thérapie de couple usually have a psychotherapy qualification and/or are psychologists. Some Eng­lish-speaking counsellors are listed at

Reimbursement is generally not offered unless you see a psychiatrist (a doctor). It will be better if you obtain a referral from your own GP (médecin traitant), though few psychiatrists practise in this area. Catholic priests also have some training in marriage guidance.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now