French brands recall coffee capsules in plastic risk
Coffee capsules are being recalled by three supermarket brands in France after the products were found to be at risk of leaving “bits of plastic in consumers’ cups”.
The products concerned - small, foil-enclosed, rounded capsules designed to be used in certain styles of coffee machines - have been sold under the brands Casino, Leader Price, and Franprix. They include capsules labelled Lungo, Espresso and Cappuccino, among others (full list below).
Eleven varieties of the capsules have been recalled by national fraud office La Direction Générale de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et de la Répression des Fraudes (DGCCRF), as they were found to contain a “fragility”.
A statement said: “The product ‘may break under pressure and cause the presence of bits of plastic in consumers’ cups.”
Anyone who has bought these products is advised not to use them, and instead bring them back to the original point of sale for a refund.
The full list of products affected:
- 16 capsules Expresso 104g, Barcode: 3222477186958, all batches
- 16 capsules Expresso Intenso 112g, Barcode: 3222477186965, all batches
- 16 capsules Grande 112g, Barcode: 3222477186972, all batches
- 16 capsules Lungo 112g, Barcode: 3222477186989, all batches
- 16 capsules Cappuccino 164g, Barcode: 3222477186941, all batches
- 16 capsules Décaféiné 112g, Barcode: 3222477186996, all batches
Leader Price brand
- Capsule café Lungo 112g, Barcode: 3263850193118, best before dates Jul 24-Nov 7 2021
- Capsule café Espresso 104g, Barcode: 3263850193019, best before dates Jul 24-Nov 7 2021
- Capsule café Cappuccino 164g, Barcode: 3263850192913, best before dates Jul 24-Nov 7 2021
- 16 capsules café Expresso 104g, Barcode: 3263850192111, best before dates Jul 23-Nov 7 2021
- 16 capsules café Lungo 112g, Barcode: 3263850192210, best before dates Jul 23-Nov 7 2021
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France