Travel distances and link to forms for new 10km lockdown in France
New rules are in place across all of France - we explain and give links to the forms needed for some trips out.
There are new rules for travel for all of France from today as a new semi-lockdown begins across the country.
A new version of the obligatory form (Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire) has been issued for some longer daytime trips out. You can find it here.
The versions of the main attestation form available to download (Image: Interieur.gouv.fr / Screenshot)
The rules are being expanded from the 19 departments previously under these stricter measures to the whole country. They are:
- No restrictions within a 10km radius of your home from 6:00 to 19:00
- (For people living on the borders of two or more departments, a tolerance of 30km from your home and into another is accepted)
- You are able to move freely up to 10km radius of your main home, and you do not need to carry an attestation to do this. You should however have proof of address on you in case of a check (a physical copy of a bill or a digital version is acceptable).
- If you cannot take proof of address with you, you should fill out and carry an attestation (paper or digital) with you.
You can travel within your department (over 10km), from 6:00 to 19:00, for the following reasons:
- To make essential purchases or to collect ordered goods
- Accompanying children to school and for extracurricular activities [Schools are closed for three weeks so this refers to if a decision to later reopen is made]. A separate form is needed for this (see below)
- To visit a cultural establishment such as libraries or a place of worship
- Administrative or legal procedures
- For all the ‘imperative’ reasons listed below
For this you must carry an attestation at all times.
You can travel without distance limitation from your home throughout France, from 6:00 to 19:00, for the following reasons:
- Professional activity, education and training, public interest mission
- Health: consultations, examinations, care, preventive procedures (including vaccination), purchase of health products
- Compelling family reasons, to help someone in a vulnerable position and childcare
- Disability, for people with disabilities and those accompanying them
- Legal or administrative summons
- Moving and travel essential to the purchase or rental of a principal residence
- Transit to train stations and airports
You must still carry an attestation at all times in these cases.
Exemption for Easter weekend until Monday April 5 at 19:00
The situation is more flexible for the Easter weekend. Until Monday April 5 at 19:00, tolerance will be applied to allow individuals and families who wish to confine themselves in a different part of France to travel freely.
It will be possible to change regions and move around in the coming days.
However, the authorities advise you to take a document with you to try to show that you are not just going away for the weekend.
Travelling during the curfew hours from 19:00 to 6:00
This requires an attestation form at all times - find the form here - and is restricted to the following reasons:
- Commuting to and from work or university and training place; business trips that cannot be delayed
- Consultations and provision of care that cannot be done remotely or delayed
- Imperative family reasons, assisting vulnerable people or taking care of children
- Persons with a disability and their accompanying person
- Judicial or administrative summons
- Participating in a mission of general interest upon request from an administrative authority
- Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys
- Walking a pet outdoors within 1km of your home and for a short amount of time
The Ministry of the Interior website has three sections for the new forms.
The first shows the “Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire”. This is the main form needed as explained above. This is available digitally, in French and English, and a French accessible version.
The second section is the “Justificatif de déplacement professionnel” for work reasons. It is available in French in three formats (PDF, Word Doc, TXT).
The third section is the “Justificatif de déplacement scolaire”, needed for taking children to and from school. It is in French in the same three formats.