top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Lawyer refuses to refund her fees

In principle, an appeal court judgment is directly enforceable

An avocat (barrister) was ordered by the Cour d’Appel (appeal court) to repay me her fees because she did no work, yet she has ignored this. What can be done, short of using a huissier, which may be costly? C.B.

Avocat Gerard Barron from Boulogne-sur-Mer said that, in principle, an appeal court judgment is directly enforceable. Usually a order demanding payment would be issued, which should be handed to a huissier for delivery.

He or she may request a small up-front payment to cover expenses, but this will ultimately be reimbursable by the defendant.

In the first instance, however, you could write to the bâtonnier (president) of the local barreau (bar) at which the lawyer practises and tell him or her that the lawyer has failed to pay despite the judgment. That would normally be enough to ensure speedy to ensure payment.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now