top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Simple set-up is a micro winner

Independent businesses operate under three distinct tax regimes, depending on turnover and the nature of the busines.

INDEPENDENT businesses operate under three distinct tax regimes, depending on turnover and the nature of the business.

The most popular regime for expat businesses is the micro-entreprise, as it is meant for low-turnover, individual businesses and is simple.

Regulations have been kept to a minimum and accounting is easy. It is also outside the scope of VAT registration.

Very small businesses can be taxed as micro-entreprises under two separate regimes: Micro-BIC (Bénéfices Industriels et Commerciaux, which is for businesses in commerce, trades or industry) and Micro-BNC (Bénéfices non-Commerciaux, for professionals); businesses with turnovers under certain thresholds are taxed in the régime du réel simplifié and businesses with turnovers over the threshold come under the régime du réel normal.

Professionals and tradespeople cannot earn more than €32,100 to qualify for their respective Micro-BNC and Micro-BIC regimes.

Commercial traders cannot have an annual turnover of more than €80,300 to access the Micro-BIC regime.

Turnover thresholds for the régime du réel simplifié are €766,000 for BNC and €231,000 for commercial traders in the BIC.

However, the simplicity of the micro-entreprise regime has its own cost and you cannot write off expenses against tax.

Instead, there are fixed allowances against turnover with the remainder being your profit for tax and social charges calculations.

The allowances vary from 71% for commercial traders, 50% for Micro-BIC regime and 34% for Micro-BNC.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France