top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Tax strike threat to get internet

Residents say they are fed up being second-class citizens and demand better communications access

RESIDENTS in a tiny Limousin village are threatening to stop paying their taxes until they get better – or even any – internet access.

Some parts of the village of Bussy in Haute-Vienne cannot even get a mobile phone signal and their landlines cannot get ADSL internet.

They told Le Populaire newspaper: “We are second-class citizens, forgotten by everyone. On the other hand, when it comes to taxes they remember us well enough!”

The 30 or so residents in the hamlet near Sainte-Anne-Saint-Priest have been calling for improvements for years and especially after France Télécom gave up, saying it could not do anything. Now the residents have told the newspaper they have had enough and said if pleas for help did not work then they could try a tax strike.

Many isolated parts of Limousin have already been given WiMax internet access – like a large-scale Wifi transmitter – after a programme called Dorsal was set up in 2003. But although Dorsal says in its advertising that it provides cover for 99% of the region, boss Yan Pamboutzoglou said Bussy was an area where they could do nothing: “We have both technical and financial limits.”

WiMax offers Wifi internet access over a restricted zone, but the last available option was satellite internet which is more expensive and not as flexible. He said they had been able to install individual satellite dishes in 900 Limousin homes but the financing for that had run out.

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now