top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

UK to only accept highly-paid and skilled EU citizens

After Brexit (or after the transition period, if there is a deal) EU citizens wanting to come to the UK will have no preferential immigration status, the British Prime Minister has said.

Theresa May said at the Conservative Party conference today that the UK will end special access to living in the UK for people from the EU. The UK will prioritise skilled and highly-paid workers, as it does currently for those outside the EU, she said.

Those wanting to live and work in the UK long-term would need to meet a minimum salary and could not automatically bring their family unless sponsored by employers for this.

This would be likely therefore to exclude low-skilled or modestly-paid people (such as nurses) or those seeking to retire and not be economically active.

There are many kinds of visa for non-EU citizens who want to live in the UK, depending on category, though Connexion has not so far identified one that would suit someone coming in retirement for anything other than a short, six-month visit (the list is here) and a tool for people to find out there options according to category can be found here. The visa kinds  include entrepreneur ones for those with substantial sums to invest in starting a business and who meet other criteria such as speaking English and who can support themselves while in the UK; an ‘exceptional talent’ one for people who are well-known in fields like science or the arts; or a general visa for which you should have a job offer of at least £30,000.

Mrs May’s comments appear to already rule out negotiating a ‘future relationship’ with the EU including maintaining special treatment for Europeans. If this is reciprocated then, logically, Britons wanting to come to France would also have to apply for one various kinds of ordinary ‘third country’ national visas and residency cards (each of which has different requirements, related to skill, income, French language, family living in France etc).
Most retirees seeking to come to France would need a 'visitor' visa, which costs €269 and requires proof of income of at least €1,185/month and a promise not to do any work. It is renewable annually, though after five years it is possible to apply for a long-term resident visa lasting 10 years, on conditions including a language test and income of at least the Smic minimum wage (€1,499/month). 

Under EU rules EU citizens can live in another EU country as long as they work, or if they come to seek a job they can stay at least three months. Staying more than three months may require people to be self-sufficient so as not to be a ‘burden on the social welfare system’ in the first five years and to have healthcare. However retirees benefit from such assistance as the S1 scheme so the home country pays their healthcare, and the right to continue to claim certain benefits from the home country. EU citizens living in an EU state have full rights to bring their close family such as spouse and children, whether European or not.

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France