The number of new Covid cases reported in a single day in France has once again reached a record high, with 332,252 infections yesterday (January 5).
We take a look at the other key figures relating to the country’s current Covid wave.
- There were over 242 Covid-related deaths in hospitals
- 3,665 people with Covid being treated in intensive care
- The positivity rate of tests taken was 15.8%
- France’s R rate – the number of people which infected people will pass the virus on to – was 1.6
- France’s infection rate was 1,908 cases per 100,000 people
- The average daily case number for the week was around 200,000
Prime Minister Jean Castex said today (January 6) that Omicron now accounts for 70-80% of all French Covid cases.
As the government’s vaccine pass bill was passed by the Assemblée nationale, Health Minister Olivier Véran Tweeted that France had seen the highest number of first vaccinations since October 1 yesterday.
Some 66,000 people received their first vaccine dose on January 5, while in previous days and weeks the number had hovered around 20,000.
Record quotidien des primo-injections depuis le 1er octobre.— Olivier Véran (@olivierveran) January 5, 2022
66 000 Français ont fait le choix du vaccin depuis hier soir.
66 000 Français qui font le choix de se protéger face aux formes graves du Covid.
On continue !
Mr Véran also told the Assemblée nationale that 5% of hospitalised Covid patients had been using fake health passes and are not actually vaccinated.
Le ministre français de la Santé Olivier Véran a indiqué devant l'Assemblée nationale que "5% des patients hospitalisés" en France disposaient de faux pass sanitaires et ne sont pas vaccinés #AFP pic.twitter.com/FmV3WtWZ1j— Agence France-Presse (@afpfr) January 6, 2022
“Fake passes kill, that’s a reality,” he added.