top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
Explore
arrow down

Fillon vows to continue bid for presidency

Despite rumours he was set to quit his bid for the presidency, former prime minister François Fillon has come out fighting after being told he is to be formally charged over the ‘fake jobs’ controversy that has dogged his campaign.

The former French presidential front-runner this morning abruptly cancelled a planned visit to the Salon de l’Agriculture in Paris – where there were already fears that he would face jeers – and held a press conference to reveal that he was continuing.

He said he had faced “a political assassination” and that the “rule of law had been violated” over the claims that his wife, Penelope, his son and daughter had been paid money for work as his parliamentary aides that they had never done.

But he added that it was “not just me that is being assassinated, it’s the presidential election. The voices of millions of voters have been muzzled.”

Mr Fillon said that from the beginning, he had never been treated as an ordinary plaintiff and those involved had “ignored” the presumption of innocence in his case.

He said France was bigger than his mistakes, “larger than the positions taken by a large part of the press” and, speaking to his voters, added: “Do not let yourselves be abused, do not let others decide your choice.”

Mr Fillon revealed that his lawyers had told him he had been summoned to a meeting with a judge on March 15 when he would be formally charged but, despite saying earlier in the campaign he would pull out if charged, declared defiantly “I will not give up, I will not pull out.”

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

He has been surrounded by controversy since the revelations in Le Canard Enchainé over payments made for years to his wife, Welsh-born Penelope, and to his children who were paid as lawyers while still only being students.

His campaign visits have been met with jeers and he has denounced the government for allowing a “civil war climate” in the country

Formerly the front-runner in the polls, he now trails the far-right Front National’s Marine le Pen and former socialist minister and centrist Emmanuel Macron.

Reactions to his press conference were swift, with some mocking him for claiming “It’s an injustice” like cartoon character Calimero, while socialist challenger Benoït Hamon lashed him for making the campaign seem “second rate” while making “incredibly violent attacks against judges”.

Right-winger Philippe Gosselin of Les Républicains said Fillon had grabbed back control: “Let’s go, we’re set. The former rally driver is still at the wheel!”

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now