Three types of attestation de deplacement confinement exemption forms are now available for download in France, either to print as a hard copy or to fill in digitally. We explain the differences and how to get them.
Under the new lockdown rules, you need a valid exemption form to justify why you are outside your home. This form needs to be shown to any police or gendarmerie officer if they request it.
This is set to be a requirement until at least December 1.
The types of form available:
- A general form for necessary journeys (attestation de déplacement dérogatoire). Must be a new form for each new journey. Available in hard copy to print (PDF, DOCX, TXT), or digitally.
- A form for work (justificatif de déplacement professionnel). For travel between home and employed work, if you are not able to work from home. Must be signed by your employer. Does not need to be a new form each day/journey. Available in hard copy to print (PDF, DOCX, TXT). Self-employed people travelling for work reasons should use the general form instead.
- A form for school (justificatif de déplacement scolaire). For travel between home and school for pupils only. Must be signed by the school. Does not need to be a new form each day/journey. Available in hard copy to print (PDF, DOCX, TXT).
All three types (see image below) can be downloaded here. They are available as PDFs, TXT and DOCX formats, and in a “Facile à lire et à comprendre (FALC; easy to read and understand)” format.
The first form is also available in a DOCX version to print, in English (the others are only in French).
The PDF, DOCX, TXT and FALC versions can be downloaded for printing and filling in manually at home.
The first form is also available via a “form generator” for digital devices, which can be filled in, in French, just like an online form. You fill in your details into the form fields, tick your reason for being out, and then press the button “generate my form”.
It will then give you a digital attestation form to download as a PDF, with a QR code attached, which you can show in place of a signed paper form.
Reasons to leave the house
Prime Minister Jean Castex has specified that - just as during the last lockdown - “you are only allowed to leave your house for the reasons listed on the form, and if you have a [completed and valid] form on you”.
The acceptable reasons listed are:
- Food shopping
- Going to work
- Going to the doctor, pharmacy, or another important health appointment
- “Imperative family reasons”, such as caring for a dependent or vulnerable person
- Physical activity or walking the dog
- Jury duty or other public services
- Dropping off/picking up children from school or school activities
- Trips out by registered disabled people accompanied by their carers
Physical activity - such as walking, jogging, cycling or walking the dog - must be limited to one-hour maximum and must take place within one kilometre of your home.
Online tool Covidradius can help you calculate distances within one kilometre of where you live.
The work and school forms are considered to be “permanent forms”. This means they do not need to be filled in fresh every day.
The work form must be signed by your employer. The school form must be signed by the school and is for pupils’ travel to and from school only.
Parents or caregivers need to fill in their own forms for the school drop-off or pick-up.
Currently, it is banned to travel across France between regions, “including from a main home to a second home”, Mr Castex said.
The fine for breaching lockdown without a valid reason and form is €135, rising higher in case of multiple and repeated breaches.
Read more: France second lockdown: What travel is allowed?
Toussaint holiday exception
People who were already on holiday for the Toussaint period as lockdown was imposed will be permitted to return home this weekend as an exception to the rule.
President Emmanuel Macron said: “There will be some tolerance this weekend for people returning from Toussaint holidays, so that families can get organised.”
Anyone making this journey home will need an additional form - une attestation d’honneur - indicating your home address. This form can be generated online here.
Once filled in, you can copy and paste the text into another document (e.g. a Word document), or download it as a PDF. You must then print it and sign it by hand. This form cannot be presented digitally. It must be printed and hand-signed.
France lockdown: What form is required to go out?
French PM clarifies lockdown rules
How will France’s new lockdown be different from spring?