top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

France on red alert for severe grass pollen allergies

A red alert for grass pollen allergies has been issued in 26 departments across France, with the risk especially high from the south east to the south west.

The warning was issued by air monitoring network, le Réseau National de Surveillance Aérobiologique (RNSA), on Friday June 14. The update also covers 65 further departments on orange alert.

“Red” alert is the most severe possible, and “orange” is the second-most severe  - on the six-point scale - meaning that the risk of allergies from grass pollen is high to extremely high.

Just five departments - Sarthe, Finistère, Orne, Mayenne and the Alpes-Maritimes - are on yellow alert, meaning average risk.

Pollen allergies can cause symptoms often known as “hay fever”, including repeated sneezing, irritated or weeping eyes, throat irritation, and coughing.

The RNSA advises sufferers to:

  • Avoid taking part in too many activities outdoors
  • Drive with the windows closed
  • Air out the house in the morning and evening, after sunset
  • Rinse your hair in water in the evening
  • Avoid hanging out clothes to dry outside
  • Avoid using products that could further irritate your system, such as tobacco, perfume, incense, candles, cleaning chemicals, or DIY equipment.

Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France