top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Where do I declare rent income?

As UK nationals who are tax resident in France, in which country should we declare and pay tax on rental income from a property outside the EU paid by the tenants into our UK bank account? P.H.

Taxation is always applied first in the country in which the property is situated, and then in the country of fiscal residency.

So you would need to declare the rental income to the tax authorities of the country in which the property is situated, if the country does in fact charge income tax.

You would also have to make a declaration in your French income tax returns (though in most cases there are treaties in place which mean you are not taxed again on it – however France may take account of it, possibly increasing your tax rates on other revenue); Exactly how to do this depends on the type of rental/letting involved.


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.

Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - and contains general information relevant to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France