top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

What will change for British drivers visiting France?

Will there be changes for second home-owners with regard to driving on a UK licence in France after the transition period ends on December 31 this year? 

Second home-owners driving in France will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of their British driving licence after the transition period.

The latter is complex to organise as it involves having a professional translation completed and certified by a translator, then sworn before a public notary or solicitor and legalised by a government official so it is valid abroad (see and

UK IDPs, however, can be obtained from the RAC or AA and from post offices at a fee of around £8.

They are valid for a year and validate your UK licence for use in a range of foreign countries.

You can find a post office that issues IDPs at

You will also need to carry a motor insurance green card from your insurer.

This proves that the driver has adequate insurance cover for driving abroad. You should contact your insurer a month before travel to obtain a card for your vehicle, and also for your caravan or trailer if appropriate.

Your car should also have an ordinary GB sticker on it, even if your number plate already shows a GB with an EU symbol.

The sticker, a white oval containing the letters GB, must be displayed at the rear of the vehicle.


We have a dedicated helpguide on Owning a Second Home in France. Order at the helpguide section of

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now