top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Must we carry carte de séjour at all times in France?

We look at what types of identification you should carry with you in France

Legally in France you should be able to prove your identity at all times Pic: Yuliya Padina / Shutterstock

Reader question: We are Britons with Withdrawal Agreement residency cards for France. Are we meant to keep the cards with us all the time? 

Legally, in France you should be able to prove your identity at all times as well as your legal residency in France if a non-EU citizen – for example, if asked to do so by police. 

Whereas in the case of a French or EU citizen just the identity card or passport suffice to show both identity and legal residency, this is not the case for non-EU/EEA citizens. 

Valid identity documents include a driving licence or passport, carte Vitale or elector’s card (or national identity card if you are French) but yes, in theory, third country citizens should also have their carte de séjour

If you cannot prove your credentials when asked, the police have the right to detain you for further checks at a police station for up to four hours. 

Paris police suggested to The Connexion that photocopies would do if you do not want to carry documents all the time. 

In practice, however, you can only be asked for your documents in very limited circumstances. 

Even so, you should show the card at external EU borders (ie. on France-UK trips), so as not to be logged as being a third-country visitor with only the right to stay for up to 90 days in any 180. 

It may also be required for many administrative formalities, such as claiming family allowance from the Caf. 

Related articles

Lost Brexit residency card in France: how do I replace it?

Can we renew a carte de séjour online in France?

Can you hold a carte de séjour for France while living in the UK?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France