top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Can visitors to France have a mutuelle top-up policy?

'Mutuelles' are designed for people insured in the French system, however there are other policy options to look into

The main options to cover this cost are a general travel insurance policy including a suitable healthcare element, or a comprehensive healthcare policy Pic: Irenaphoto / Shutterstock

Reader question: We are frequent visitors to France and my husband has a long-term health issue. Is it possible to have a mutuelle insurance policy for the costs that are not covered by the Ehic? 

From our inquiries with several French insurers, it would not be possible as these policies are designed for people insured in the French system.

The Ehic system, which the UK still belongs to, allows reimbursement up to standard French healthcare rates for care that is ‘necessary’ during a trip, which can include care for pre-existing conditions.

This does not include the part of costs not reimbursed by the French state, called a ‘co-payment’ (the UK used to reimburse them but has not done so for several years).

The main options we identified to cover this cost are a general travel insurance policy including a suitable healthcare element, or a comprehensive healthcare policy. These could be obtained from a UK insurer or a French-based one serving international clients.

International insurance group Allianz said it would suggest its comprehensive Care international healthcare plan. However, a medical questionnaire is involved and pre-existing conditions can be subject to surcharges or exclusion.

Agence AXA International, an English speaking AXA agency in France, said one option is a policy “similar to travel insurance but designed for spending time in the Schengen area”. A spokeswoman said they can be taken for one entry of up to 90 days, multiple entries up to 90 days in 180 days, or an annual multi-trip policy.

They do not require a medical but are designed for urgent care. She said this broadly means something that cannot wait for you to go back to your usual home.

An annual multi-trip policy would be €298, regardless of age, she said.

They can also offer more comprehensive policies through partner companies. However, these require a questionnaire and in some cases cover can be refused.

The cost is also fairly high and increases with age. Another option is to buy a long stay travel insurance policy in the UK, she said.

An English-speaking AXA agent, for the Jean-Marie Lecomte agency, said they offer cover via April International for UK residents, but it “can be complicated” for those with serious medical problems.

Related stories

Moving to France from UK: Catch-22 issue for pensioners and visa S1s

Covid France: Can foreign residents get booster without carte Vitale?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France