top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

False friend: Does 'verbalisation' in French mean warning?

It is common to read in French media about people receiving a 'verbalisation' by police for breaking Covid-related rules. We explain whether it means they have been warned by police or given a fine. 

Reader question: I read an article in The Connexion about the police cracking down on Covid curfew breakers and fining people. However, I often read in French media about someone being given a ‘verbalisation’ for breaking Covid-related rules. Does this mean they are receiving a warning from police or they are actually being fined?

The word 'verbalisation' in French, in the context of an infraction, is something of a faux-ami (false friend) for English speakers as it sounds like it could mean a 'verbal warning'.

In fact, a 'verbalisation' is a fine, given on the spot by a police officer to someone who has broken a law. The closest translation of the sentence, “l’homme a été verbalisé par le policier” would be, “the man was booked by the police officer”. 

Coronavirus curfew breakers: controls intensified in France

The word ‘verbalisation’ stems from the Latin word “verbum”, meaning “word”. 

In this sense, 'verbalisation' does not mean a spoken remark, but a recorded remark. Hence why a “verbalisation” in modern French means to “book” or “report” someone (give them a fine), rather than just warn them verbally.

Another way of saying 'verbalisation' would be 'une amende'. 

Read more:

Bacon, money, proud...9 words English took from French

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now