top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

How can I find an English-speaking GP near me in France?

In the French healthcare system, you choose a general practice doctor as your médecin traitant and appointments can be booked on the widely used Doctolib site

Reader question: How do we get a GP in France? And is there a database of English speaking GPs?

Since the onset of online doctor booking services, it has become much easier to find English-speaking doctors in France.

The most widely used website for booking medical appointments is Doctolib. After entering the type of doctor you are looking for, which in your case is a médecin généraliste, and your location, you can select a language.

English is widely spoken in France, so you may have quite a number to choose from, depending on where you live. In the French healthcare system, you are asked to designate a chosen general practice doctor as your médecin traitant – your regular GP. Failure to do so could see you paying more than you should or healthcare fees not being refunded.

Your médecin traitant keeps ongoing records, refers you to specialists and is responsible for your overall health. On the first visit to your GP, you will be given a registration form to fill in and send to your local Cpam. You should generally always consult your médecin traitant first with any medical problem, with the exception of paediatricians, ophthalmologists, gynaecologists or medical emergencies.

Related stories

29,000 GPs in France to give AstraZeneca vaccine this week

‘Massive’ rise in French mutuelle costs attacked

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now