top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Can I contact a mediator over issues with our French bank?

Each bank in France has its own mediator and they offer free consultations, however first thing to do in this instance is to contact your personal adviser

If you feel your bank is acting unfairly, the first thing to do is to contact your personal adviser Pic: Vlada Karpovich / Pexels

Reader question: Our bank is acting unfairly. What can we do? Is there a mediator?

Yes, each bank has its own mediator and consultation with them is free of charge.

However, before making contact, you must show that you attempted to solve the problem with your bank first.

If you feel your bank is acting unfairly, the first thing to do is to contact your personal adviser.

It is advisable to keep a copy of all correspondence. If you request a meeting by email, mention the reason for it and the nature of the problem.

If you have not been able to solve the issue this way, the next step is to write a letter to the bank’s claims department, called the service réclamations. You can ask your adviser or branch for the address, or find it online.

The letter must contain a description of the problem, the steps you have taken to try to solve it, and any relevant documents, including evidence of correspondence on the matter.

This should be sent by registered mail (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception).

If you do not receive an answer (within two weeks for a payment issue or two months for other issues), you may then contact the mediator, online or by post.

To find a mediator, visit Cercle des Médiateurs Bancaires and enter the bank’s name. For an example of the type of letter to send to the mediator, see here.

Related stories

What are the tax-free bank accounts in France?

Can I pay a UK cheque into my French bank account?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now