top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Taxation for work done outside France

I live in France but my wife works abroad. She had a three-year contract in the Middle East but was made redundant. She went to court for wrongful dismissal and won a sum which represented the full earnings she would have earned. Is this taxable in France if transferred? She was assessed locally but had nothing to pay. Now she works in Central Asia. Will the French tax her? It has been suggested to me that she has to be out of France for six months in the year to avoid it. She pays tax there at 12%.  P.F.

You live in France but the issue is whether your wife is also considered a fiscal resident. 

Each spouse can be resident fiscally in a different country and for some people being non- French resident may be more advantageous, considering French rates of tax and social charges.

This will not always be the case, bearing in mind, for example, your exemption to capital gains on selling what would be your home, but a taxable gain on your wife’s share as a resident abroad.

Were your wife French fiscally-resident, the French would tax worldwide income, especially if it has suffered no tax in another country, and probably also seek to levy social charges if none have been paid in the Middle East. 

The repatriation or not of the funds is irrelevant, according to French tax law (though there should be a tax credit for foreign tax paid, if any). However, it is necessary to distinguish between having been awarded income or a “compensation”, as only income is taxable.

French rules on becoming a resident refer to one or more of the following: having the “home” in France or spending most of the tax year here (eg. over six months, but a lesser period could apply if she spent more time in France than anywhere else); having one’s centre of economic interest in France (ie. one runs affairs from France, receives bank statements and bills in France, one’s will is French etc); or running a business in France.

Simply remaining outside of France for at least six months may not be sufficient, so it would be advisable to see a qualified professional in international taxation to take all relevant factors into account.


Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

The Connexion welcomes queries and regularly publishes a selection with answers. However, please note that we cannot enter into individual correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages. Send your financial query to

The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case. No liability is accepted in respect of these articles. These articles are intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now